On August 22, 1876, the city of St. Louis voted to secede from St. Louis County and become an independent city. Industrial production continued to increase during the late 19th century. Major corporations such as the Anheuser-Busch brewery and Ralston-Purina company were established. St. Louis also was home to Desloge Consolidated Lead Company and several brass era automobile companies, including the Success Automobile Manufacturing Company; St. Louis is the site of the Wainwright Building, an early skyscraper built in 1892 by noted architect Louis Sullivan.
In 1904, the city hosted the 1904 World’s Fair and the 1904 Summer Olympics, becoming the first non-European city to host the Olympics. Permanent facilities and structures remaining from the fair are Forest Park and associated structures within its boundaries: the St. Louis Art Museum, the St. Louis Zoo and the Missouri History Museum.
Street pavers at work on Compton Avenue north of Meramec. Photograph, 1906.
Washington Avenue west from Eighth Street, wholesale district. Photograph by George Stark, 1903.
View looking east on Delmar Boulevard from Kingshighway Boulevard. Photograph by W.C. Persons, ca. 1914.
Street workers and carriages on an unidentified street. Photograph, early 20th century.
Washington Avenue looking east from Seventh Street. Photograph, 1910-15.
Broadway and Locust, southwest corner. Photograph, ca. 1909.
Colonel Frederick Dent Residence at the southwest corner of Fourth and Cerre Streets. Photograph, ca. 1915.
C.J. Reilly Horse Shoer shop at 308 North Leonard Avenue. Photograph, 1906.
Market Street Grocery Company building. Photograph, ca. 1900.
Chouteau and Compton intersection. Photograph, ca. 1900.
Broadway looking north from Keokuk Street. Photograph, ca. 1900.
Southeast corner of Easton Avenue and Euclid. A boy on stilts stands in front of the produce stands in front of the F.J. Voepel Market. Photograph, ca. 1906.
Group of men standing in front of the Globe Shaving Parlor at 1015 Carr. Photograph, ca. 1910.
Sidewalk on Olive Street looking west from Seventh Street. Photograph, ca. 1900.
Olive Street looking toward Sarah Street. Photograph, ca. 1910.
Northwest corner of Eighth and Pine Streets. Photograph, ca. 1910.
Northeast corner of Third Street and Lucas Avenue. Julius P. Gemmer’s Gun Shop stands at 700 Third Street. Photograph, ca. 1900.
Sixth Street looking south from Lucas Avenue. Photograph, ca. 1906.
Washington Avenue west from Sixth Street. Photograph., 1906.
via Missouri History Museum